Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Day 4



Pete and I pulled off just outside Woss, British Columbia and camped in a rest area by a river last night. It was rainy pretty gnarly. We thought it would stop but it rained all night. Our Hilleburg tents kept us totally dry. Man we were stoked about that. We woke up early and it took us 2 hours to get all our stuff packed up. We rode a few miles u the road and pulled into a gas station and grabbed coffee. It is amazing how much better things taste when your camping. It was the best coffee ever…

 

We started riding what turned out to be the most grueling ride I have ever done. 90 miles. It was massive amounts of climbing. We had one descent that was 30 minutes and I was going close to 50 mph with my 70 pound yak behind me. We had one climb where we were going 4.5 mph and it took 30 minutes. It’s hard to put in perspective what we did today, but I know one thing. It hurt like hell. Pete just wrote a book about mountain biking in the Blackforest of Pennsylvania and he said today’s ride was harder than anything he has ever done out there. Overall we averaged 12.6 mpg for 90 miles. We had 7:05 ride time today.

 

At mile 60 I was so tired I noticed I was zig zagging in the middle of the road. Not a good sign considering massive logging trucks were zooming by at 100km an hour. I almost fainted. I took some electrolytes and felt a lot better. When we finally got into Cambell River we found a gas station and got dinner #1. 2  hours later we are sitting in a restaurant overlloking some boats and Cambell river eating dinner #2. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment